Monday 20 October 2008

Week 4: Starting Assignment: December

December:

For the December month I thought of doing a

winter scene with a Christmas tree in the centre. The tree will probably be decorated with tinsel.

Christmas tree:

I have implemented a rough design model of the Christmas tree I which I mentioned in the ‘Week 3’ post on the blog. (Found here http://3dricharddar.blogspot.com/2008/10/week-3-fruit-bowl-tutorial.html ). The draft design model is

shown just below:

I achieved this design by first creating the foliage and trunk.

I created the foliage by creating 4 separate ‘Cone’ shapes (Shown left), resizing each ‘Cone’ and then stacked on top of each other to give a layered effect.

After positioning each of the cones into place I grouped them together and named the new model ‘tree1’.




The trunk of the tree was just a basic cylinder shape. I resized it and changed the colour to an earthy brown. I then moved the grouped ‘tree1’ down onto the cylinder and grouped them together to create a new group, ‘tree2’.

I made the plant pot next. First, opening a new file and creating an ordinary box, right clicked on the box and converted it to ‘editable poly’. I went into the selection list on the side bar selected the ‘polygon’ tool, selected the top face of the box and resized that face on its own to create slanted pot shape (shown to the right).



After creating the pot shape I wanted I clicked on ‘File’ went down the list to ‘Merge Files’ and opened the ‘Tree2.max’ file and added the pot to the tree file and grouped them all together. (Shown right).

To complete the Christmas tree draft I added a golden star at the top of the tree.







What I did to make the star was go into ‘Shapes’ select ‘Star’, created the size star I wanted, went to ‘Modifier list’ and down to ‘Extrude’.

Afterwards, I made another cone, made both the cone and stars colour gold and grouped the two together, after positioning them correctly.

Finally, I saved the star.max file, went to ‘File’ selected ‘Merge Files’ and added the star to the tree2.max file to create the finished draft.

No comments: